Friday, 31 May 2013

A Fish Called Mancala

Hand Carved Mancala Board
How about this for a good catch!! A friend found this amazing hand carved wooden mancala board in a charity shop. I think this is an original mancala board from West Africa. I think I have mancala board envy!! I have been invited to play a few games on it though, so I'm looking forward to that!  Mancala is one of my favourite games. It's an ancient game that is played in many parts of the world. It's a game of pure skill and strategy. I much prefer these types of games to those that are dependent on luck such as those games that involve dice. I'm not very lucky with dice. I don't think I have ever won a game of snakes and ladders in my life!!
Hand Carved Mancala Board

My favourite game at the moment is Chinese Checkers. I've been playing this for about a year now and I'm well and truly hooked! I suppose there are worse things to be addicted to! It's another game that is pure skill and strategy... no dices here! Up to six people can play but it does get a bit congested with so many players. I prefer to play with just one other person. If I could take one game to a desert island it would definitely be this one. But I could also play mancala on the beach, with a board drawn into the sand with pebbles or seeds for the counters! That's the beauty of manacala... it is so basic, yet there is so much to it. I have a lot of strategies to learn with this game. I'm looking forward to playing this game again. And what a beauty of a board to play on! The forecast is good, so maybe a nice game on the beach sometime soon!

Chinese Checkers


Tiddu Shop: http://tiddushop.blogspot.com
My Art Site: http://adelewhittleart.blogspot.com
Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails